Hey Friends, I hope you all would have tried something new in your life so far. Have you stopped doing that recent activity, or has it now become a routine of your daily life? What was your reason to continue or to stop doing it? Let’s have a look on how your habits are investment in future goals.
According to a survey, 70% of people start their habits to avoid boredom and hence, after a few days they get bored with that habit. So, if you want to create a pattern, ask yourself two questions: Why should I start this new habit? How will I continue it?
You must need a good reason for starting a new habit and make sure that it is beneficial for you in the long run. After finding a good reason to start, you must focus on not giving up too early.
Reasons To Start A New Habit
- A Thorough Study Of The Habit: You must study the pros and cons of the routine you will start. After understanding the facts of the patterns, it would be easier for you to decide whether or not to follow the habit or not.
- Learn From Those Who Already Follow It: There is a beautiful saying that ” a successful person learns from others’ mistakes.” It would help if you learned the benefits of a particular habit from the person who is experienced in it.
- Is It Better Than The Previous One Or Not: Even if the habit you want to pursue is good in many aspects, it is better than the activity you used to do before that.
“people do not decide on their futures. They decide their habits, and their habits decide their futures”.F.M. Alexander
Remember that you must not remain the person with the same thought process after putting that habit in your daily routine, which you had before. Also, check whether the new thought process is better than the previous one or not.
The second question was how you would continue doing it. Here are some ways to continue a habit
How To Make A Habit Stick
- Follow 21/90 Rule: This rule states that ” it requires 21 days to build a habit and 90 days to build a lifestyle”. So, you must continue your newly started habit for at least 21 days. Even if you make a gap, don’t lose hope or feel demotivated, instead give it a fresh start again and consider that gap as a cheat day.
- Overcome tiredness: There comes an interval when we feel tired and want to end up. But, that is the most crucial phase to overcome. Take a break if you feel tired but don’t get too attached to it.
- Have Patience: There will come days when you will feel like it is not working or the growth is prolonged. Instead of stopping, remember that ” bamboo takes four years just to grow its roots and then in only six months, a miracle happens, and it grows too long.”
Always remember, starting a habit is easy but maintaining that habit is tougher. So, keep it continuous and make yourself clear that good things take time to happen.
Benefits Of Forming New Habits
- New habits help us to get out of our comfort zone.
- It helps to make proper use of our free time.
- Good habits bring us closer to our targets.
- Good habits could be good for our mental, physical, or social health.
- They help us in getting the motivation required to reach our goals.
- Patterns can be redrafted by one according to one’s need.
As you can see, there are many pros of forming a good habit but, if the practice is wrong, then it could even ruin you. Hence, those habits must be stopped by you as soon as possible.
How To Break A Bad Habit
- Remember the 21/90 rule is quoted before; this rule is not beneficial for starting a new habit but also stopping an old tradition.
- Make the habit invisible. For example, if you are a smoker and want to quit, don’t go to places where you can get a cigarette.
- Tell your loved ones to stop you from smoking if you can’t control the urge by yourself.
- Repeat innumerous in your mind about how a particular habit is ruining your mental, physical or social life.
- It is near impossible to stop an old habit in one go. So, try to reduce your habits slowly and steadily.
- Always remember, it is never too late to stop an old habit. Even if you have been involved for many years, you can quickly plug it in in 21 days.
- Replace the habit with a new one. Before replacing, make sure that the new pattern will make you a better person and not ruin you like the old one.
- Choose a partner who also has the same habit, and he/she wants to overcome it. Doing the same work together is better than doing it all alone.
- Study the cons well instead of repeating the pros to yourself. There are always some pros and cons of a habit, but we must check the cons thoroughly instead of just looking at the pros.
It seems impossible to stop an old habit, but if we dare to get rid of the addiction, it will completely change our lives.
Getting rid of an old habit and starting a new routine both get tough at some stage, but it will change our lives and can take it to a completely different level if we dare to start.
If you want to learn more about the concepts of habits, you can read the book ” Atomic Habits” by James Clear.
Have a look on our other blogs : Is Your Overconfidence Ruining Your Life
KEEP SMILING AND BE ENERGETIC 🙂