Hey Friends, If your exams are coming near or if you are preparing for any exam. Then, this blog would help you to boost your performance. Always Remember, your preparation is not the only thing you need to have while giving any exam. There are some other factors also that you must consider to score better. In this blog, I will tell you about the reasons why students fail an exam. We will also discuss the strategies to score better in the exam and everything you need to do before, during and after the exam.
Remember that the last moment of study could let you pass the exam, but you will not learn anything new. You must study to gain knowledge and not to pass the exam. So, start your study much before the exam and try to understand every concept.
Let us first discuss some reasons why some students fail or score less than expected in the exam.
Why Some Students Fail In Exams
- Not Studied Enough: It is a fundamental reason why people fail or score less in the exam. If you rush to finish the syllabus while studying or do not understand most of the concepts clearly, you will score less in that exam.
- Not Studying According To Pattern: Every exam needs a different approach to study. Some exams check your conceptual knowledge, some check your common sense, and some have a mix of every type of question. If you do not study according to that pattern, then you may score less. To understand the approach of an exam, you need to solve the previous year questions(PYQs) and mock tests. It will give you an idea of how the examiner would ask questions in the exam. If you can’t find PYQs or mock tests, you have to study everything that can come in the exam.
- Improper Time Management During Exam: Every student gets equal time to write the exam, and no one gets any advantage. Some students are stuck in solving some questions and waste their time in them. So, they don’t get time to finish their exam.
- Anxiety: Many students put so much pressure on themselves, and their minds get washed up. As a result, they end up scoring less in the exam.
- Overconfidence: When we are prepared well or get easy questions in exams. Then, we underestimate the circumstances due to our overconfidence. Hence, it may lead to failure. Not only exams but this reason could lead to a loss in any field.
- Dependent On Others: When you don’t study enough for the exam and are dependent on your friends or cheating paper, you are increasing your probability of failing and could be caught and could face harsh punishment. Make your preparation so well that you don’t need to be dependent on others.
Now, I will get you through some proven strategies to score better in exams.
Strategies To Score Better In Exam
- Plan Your Study: Before you start studying for your exam, you must have a proper plan or a timetable for studying. It would be best to break your complete syllabus into smaller modules to make it easy to learn.
- Set Priority: After breaking the syllabus into a smaller module, you must study the essential topics first and then move to the least important topics. According to research, we are most energetic at the starting of our learning phase. Hence, studying the important part first will help memorize it better.
- Set A Flexible Time Table To Study: Some people like to study in the morning because they want to utilize their morning energy in studying. Some like to study at night because they have fewer distractions at night. So, set a timetable accordingly.
- Revise Every Module After Completion: Before starting a module, revise what all you have learnt in the previous module and check whether you have understood it very well or not. Take a small break after completing a module to refresh your mind.
Tip: Don’t feel demotivated if you cannot understand a particular module, do not get stuck to it and move to the next module.
- Teach Someone: This technique will help you know how much you have understood a concept. Teach your friend, and if you don’t find anyone, then teach yourself.
Now, let’s discuss what you must do before, during and after exams.
Things To Do Before, During And After Exam
- Study Well: Learn all the topics thoroughly. You can use the above-given techniques to make your preparation better.
- Revise Everything: Do your revision at least one time after completing the syllabus.
- Practice PYQs/Mock Tests: Practice as many previous year questions and mock tests as possible. It would give you an idea about the important questions as well as the pattern of the paper.
- Eat & Sleep Well: Making your body and mind healthy is necessary to do well in exams. So, eat healthy food like fruits, green leafy vegetables etc. and sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours before the exam to make your mind calm and stress-free.
- Avoid Negative News/People: Avoid watching negative news and talking to negative people before the exam. It could divert your mind from your exam, and you may not be able to concentrate on your exam.
- Read The Instructions Thoroughly: Many students unintentionally do unfair things in the exam because they don’t read the given instructions properly. To avoid making any slight mistake, you should give 5 minutes to read all the instructions.
- Keep Breathing: Breathing is a continuous process. But, some students don’t breathe properly in the exam, and hence, they feel dizzy and cannot concentrate on their exam.
- Maintain Your Calm: Don’t panic if the questions are difficult or you are running out of time. If the paper is tough or lengthy, then it will be for everyone. So, trust your study and give your best.
- Manage Your Time: Wear a watch while giving any exam or ask the invigilator after some interval to tell you the exact time. First, solve the questions that you know and then try to memorize the other ones. Don’t waste your time solving questions that you don’t know or are lengthy. Solve them in the last.
- Revise The Answers: Finish your exam at least 15 minutes before submission and revise all your answers to find any silly mistakes. Read your paper at least two times before submitting it to the invigilator.
- Don’t Discuss The Answers: Avoid discussing the answers with others; it will create confusion and may give you unnecessary stress. Have a normal conversation with your friends but do not talk about the exam.
- Don’t Feel Sad: Do not feel bad if your exam got terrible. Forget about it and relax your mind. If you think you are going to fail, then instead of recalling all the time you have wasted, try to get back on track and start studying for the re-exam seriously.
- Spend Time With Your Family And Friends: While preparing for the exams, you would not have spent time with your family and friends. So, please spend some time with them to relax your mind.
- Do Some Recreational Activity: To calm your mind from the stress of the exam. Pursue a hobby or watch movies that you wanted to watch but couldn’t due to your exams.
I hope this blog will help you know the mistakes you commit during exams, and you will apply the given strategies to score better in exam.
Check out our other blog: How I Scored 84% In My Boards
KEEP SMILING AND STAY ENERGETIC 🙂